Summer heat can cause Eczema symptoms to become worse and it is often a real challenge to keep cool. Although many eczema sufferers report that sunshine improves their skin, for many the combination of sun, sweat, heat and sensitive skin means big flare ups and itchy nights with little to no sleep at all.
Here are some of our suggestions, should you or your little one be suffering through the warm weather, to help manage Eczema during the summer months.
- Stay hydrated – drink lots of water. Keep a bottle of cold water on hand at all times possible.
- Keep gels and lotions in the fridge to keep them cool.
- Rinse off after swimming and moisturise immediately. Limit pool time as chlorine and pool chemicals can aggravate the skin. | Recommended: Moisturising Lotion, Premium Eczema Cream, Gel-Lotion
- Choose loose fitting, breathable cotton or linen clothing.
- Keep the house and car cool as sweating can trigger itching.
- Try to avoid outdoor activities during the hottest part of the day (10am – 4pm).
- Shower or bathe with cool water, and again apply an emoliant moisturiser straight away. | Recommended: Moisturising Lotion, Premium Eczema Cream
- Avoid products that contain artificial fragrances, alcohol, parabens, parrafins and unnecessarychemicals.
- Keep Topical Spray on hand to relieve itching, even while on-the-go, without having to rub in or touch the skin.
- Eat cooling foods andreduce sugary foods. Cooling foods are those rich in omega3 – fruits like cherries, pears, ripe bananas, pears, and fish like salmon or cod fish reduce inflammation.
- Choose a hypoallergenic, mineral-based sunscreen that will likely be less irritating to the skin than chemical absorbers.
- Follow the ‘Treat, Cleanse, Moisturise’ rule to reduce the itch and inflammation:
Premium Eczema Cream, Gel-Lotion or Topical Spray.
- Assist the skin to naturally heal targeted areas and flare-ups
- Steroid free, no nasties formulas help to reduce itching, redness and soothe dry, itchy or sore skin(suitable for all ages).
Soap-Free Cleansing Bar, Goat’s Milk, Shea & Cocoa Butter Soap or Goat’s Milk, Shea & Cocoa Butter Body Wash
- PH Balanced products will not strip oil and moisture from the skin like many high alkaline commercial soaps and cleansers.
- Will not reverse the benefits of treating and moisturising affected skin by dehydrating the skin.
- No nasties = No irritation
- Prevent flare-ups and maintain ongoing skin health by keeping skin moisturised and hydrated
- Economical for all-over body use for dry, itchy skin